Defensive linemen are by far the most inconsistent week-to-week fantasy point producers. Many linemen will go three or four weeks without registering a sack and then exactly when you drop them, they have a multiple sack game. This can be extremely frustrating for fantasy owners. In addition, there aren't many unknown linemen that emerge during the season and consequently the waiver wire is usually not packed with worthwhile IDP options.
With this being said, in order to lessen my "cognitive dissonance", I try to use a couple of my early round defensive draft picks on defensive linemen. Obtaining guys like J.J. Watt or Robert Quinn allows me to plug them in my roster and not worry about their ups and downs throughout the season, since they have proven their consistency and value.
Solo Tackle = 1 point
Assist = 0.5 point
Sack = 3 points
Interception = 4 points
Forced Fumble = 2 points
Fumble Recovery = 2 points
Pass Deflection = 1 point
Defensive TD = 6 points
S = Sleeper/Undervalued Player
B = Bust/Overvalued Player
R = Injury Risk
|9. LDE Carlos Dunlap (CIN)
- After 3 years of playing limited snaps, the Bengals finally loosened the reigns on Dunlap and let him play full-time (87% of the team's snaps). He rewarded fantasy owners with 39 solo tackles, 19 assists, 7.5 sacks, and 4 forced fumbles. He's just 24 years old and is still honing his skills. He has some of the highest upside of any defensive lineman in this range.|
|10. LDE Muhammad Wilkerson (NYJ) - In just his third season Wilkerson has already established himself as one of the most dominant and disruptive defensive forces in the league. He's built upon his numbers in each of those years and has a good chance to again in 2014. His role limits the amount of huge fantasy games he will have but that's offset by his steadfast consistency. One of the best high-floor options who still has nice DL1 upside.
Like what you've read so far? Looking to dominate your 2014 Fantasy Football draft(s)? For $5.99 you can get complete access to The IDP Guru's comprehensive and exhaustive 2014 Fantasy Football Draft Guide.
- Updated in real-time
- 500+ players ranked (with detailed player descriptions)
- Rankings for all offensive fantasy positions (QB, RB, WR, TE, K, Team Defense)
- Rankings for all defensive fantasy positions (DL, LB, and DB)
- Top 150 Rankings List for Offense
- Top 100 Rankings List for IDP
- Sleeper Notation (signified by a green dot next to player names)
- Both standard AND PPR rankings (NEW!)
- Rankings broken out into tiers (NEW!)
- Compare our rankings to the Expert Consensus Rankings (NEW!)
- Average Draft Position (ADP) listed for players (NEW!)
- Easier mobile and tablet access (NEW!)
- Full email support and email advice
***CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE OR FOR MORE DETAILS***
Questions, comments, or concerns with any of these rankings? If so, please let me know by posting a comment below or emailing me at email@example.com. You can also hit me up on Twitter.
Last Updated: August 17, 2014 Related Posts: