I hope everyone was successful in their playoff matchups last week (if you had one). For many fantasy leagues, this is the week that their fantasy championship game takes place (I personally have a championship game this week, wish me luck). With that being said, every little move becomes extra important this week. I have tried to come up with a good mix of solid/safe plays and risky/high reward plays for for fantasy players to use depending on how they stack up against their respective opponents.
As a side note, here is something for your enjoyment: Eagles Pound 49ers Fans With Snowballs. This is a prime example of why Eagles fans are the rudest fans in the NFL. "City of Brotherly Love" my ass.
Anyways, here are my IDP Waiver Wire recommendations for Week 16:
Jared Allen (88%)
Elvis Dumervil (67%)
Julius Peppers (65%)
Trent Cole (62%)
Justin Tuck (59%)
Mario Williams (55%)
Andre Carter (51%)
Robert Mathis (50%)
Osi Umenyiora (47%)
Darnell Dockett (44%)
1. RDE Randy Starks - Starks has started to cool off recently. However, he has the Texans this week who have given up the 4th most fantasy points to opposing defensive lineman the last 8 weeks. Starks should be able to put up 3-4 solos and a sack.
3. LDE Calais Campbell - This is the 3rd week in a row that I have recommended Campbell because he's had great matchups in each of those weeks. This week he plays the Keith Null led Rams. Enough said.
4. RDE Kroy Biermann - Biermann has been up and down this season but had a resurgence last week with 8 total tackles. He has a juicy matchup against the Bills this week and should be able to put up some decent numbers.
5. LDE Ray Edwards - Edwards probably isn't available in a ton of leagues, but if he is, pick him up. He's got a nice looking matchup against the Bears this week.
*The IDP Guru's Lock of the Week*
DE/WLB Terrell Suggs - I really like Suggs this week. Roethlisburger seems to get sacked a ton every week and this is a big division game, so I expect the Ravens to try and pressure Big Ben quite a bit. Suggs may be available in some leagues due to him being injured during the season. If he's available, I recommend you pick him up as Suggs could be in for a monster game!
Patrick Willis (98%)
James Harrison (93%)
Ray Lewis (83%)
Jon Beason (82%)
London Fletcher (74%)
Barrett Rudd (72%)
D.J. Williams (70%)
Brian Cushing (70%)
Demarcus Ware (68%)
Kirk Morrison (61%)
Curtis Lofton (60%)
David Harris (59%)
DeMeco Ryans (58%)
Karlos Dansby (57%)
Jonathan Vilma (49%)
1. LILB Demorrio Williams - Williams has been one of the most underrated tacklers this season because he plays on a bad team and because he is the epitome of a non-big play performer (no sacks, INTs, fumble recoveries, or forced fumbles this year). He had 13 solo tackles last week against the Browns (who ran a ton) and I foresee him compiling another nice stat line this week against Cedric Benson and the Bengals, who will look to run the ball 30+ times against the crappy Chiefs run defense.
2. WLB James Anderson - After Anderson's monster performance last week, I'm sure many fantasy owners have/are looking to snatch him up off the waiver wire. If he's still there, pick him up. He has another great matchup against the Giants this week.
5. LOLB Anthony Spencer - This is my deep-league pick of the week. Spencer is finally starting to play like everyone in Dallas thought he would when they drafted him 26th overall in the 2007 NFL Draft. Over the last 6 weeks, he's registered 4 sacks and has averaged almost 6.5 total tackles per game. He has a favorable matchup (sack-wise) against the Redskins this week.
*If you looking for a sneakier play (if Briggs' isn't available), I also like MLB Hunter Hillenmeyer in this matchup.
Charles Woodson (69%)
Darren Sharper (58%)
Antrel Rolle (58%)
Brian Dawkins (56%)
Brandon Meriweather (52%)
Roman Harper (52%)
Eric Weddle (51%)
Daniel Manning (48%)
Troy Polamalu (49%)
Erik Coleman (50%)
Gibril Wilson (49%)
Yeremiah Bell (48%)
Charles Tillman (46%)
2. SS Nedu Ndukwe - That name never gets old! Ndukwe has always been a fantasy favorite of mine due to his consistent tackling production. He's had two monster tackling weeks in a row and he gets the Chiefs this week. I look for the Chiefs to pound the ball with speed-burner Jamaal Charles a lot this week. Consequently, Ndukwe will probably be asked to play close to the line of scrimmage to stop the run. I like his chances for a great week.
*The IDP Guru's Lock of the Week*
SS Tanard Jackson - Jackson is what a like to call a "fringe" IDP player. He's in the upper echelon of largely available waiver wire players but not quite good enough to be an every week fantasy starter. However, this week he has a great matchup against the New Orleans Saints, so make sure and get him in your lineups. I like Jackson for 8-10 total tackles this week.
I hope you found this article to be helpful!
Please feel free to leave comments, questions, suggestions, or derogatory remarks!
Also, every Wednesday, I write an "IDP Starts and Sits" article for Top Fantasy Football. Make sure to stop over and check it out for more IDP advice!